Sunday, October 16, 2005

They're Comming to Get You Barbara....GET OFF THE STAGE!



Today I FINALLY had the day off, so I got to spend some time with my grandma and my mother (before she leaves for Italy). I did my grandma's nails and then we went to lunch at The Victorian Tea Room in Port Orchard; incredibly cute and great food! Then we went to see The Night of the Living Dead at the Port Orchard Theater.

My friend Alicia is playing the role of Barbara in it and I've been wanting to go since it opened to see her act (having never actually seen her act although also having been reasured that she does it VERY well and should be on Broadway; according to her). She IM'd me this morning to tell me that there was a 2:30 matinee and that I should go, and like a good and obiedient friend I went.

Ouch! Personally I'm glad that I didn't pay the $10 fee to get in; luckily my grandma paid for all 3 of us. 3 Of the main characters kept stuttering through their lines (mind you this is not opening weekend), so the acting was a little sub par to say the least. Now, I can't say that I expect Broadway out of these people, or even really Seattle Theater out of them, they're doing it for free and for fun. But still, it was a little painful to watch.

Of corse the play was in grey scale; not a good choice. Half the people in makeup had only done a few body parts or the grey wasn't fully covering their skin. It was hard to look at it like it was in black and white. Also, they truncated it so much that you basically got a quick run down of a cult classic movie. So, I shouldn't be too terribly surprised when Alicia's "main role" got cut down to practically 10 lines. All of which were very overacted and a little too melodramatic for my taste. However, she can scream!

My friend Ray was also in the play, and for having such a small part, he was fantastic! But I've seen Ray act before and strongly believe that he should be acting in movies, or at least Broadway.

So, my official overview....If you're not doing anything for the day and need to kill roughly an hour and a half, and don't care how you do it, go see the play. But if you're looking for a really great show, I wouldn't bother this time.

They're Comming to Get Your Barbara....now GET OFF THE STAGE!

No comments: