Friday, August 19, 2005

Do babies make you better?



I've been doing some thinking, mainly about people with babies cause so many of my friends (or people I know and knew) have babies. Now, just to be clear this does not pertain to my friend Erika who managed to stay pretty close to the person she was before she had her baby. But mainly this is for people out there in general who have babies, not any one person so don't read anything into it.

Does having a baby make you a better person than the rest of us without babies?

It seems lately that having a baby immediately rockets you into this "higher" status; because all of a sudden you've got someone else to care for who basically tries their damndest to bankrupt you before they leave the house in 18 years (if they even leave at all.) To be perfectly honest you could marry a man or woman who can do the same thing for you; and you don't have to go through 9 months of uncomfortableness and pain.

Sometimes I just feel like people with babies have this presence about them that somehow they're better than those of us without children. Because this woman got knocked up she's better than me, or the next person without a kid in tow. And it's not just the people with kids, a lot of times it's the people behind the checkout counter. People with kids seem to get treated better, depending on if the kid is being good and all that of corse. They just seem to give bigger smiles as if to say "wow, you did it, you popped a kid out!" Or something like that.

I don't know. I'm sure if I ever do decide that I want a kid in my life I'll understand more. Because I'm sure I'm going to get the inevitable "you just don't understand what it's like to have a child" speach from someone. I just don't understand why it would make you any better than the rest of society who opts out of that situation. I guess this is all fueled by the bombardment of pregnant lady advertisement I just can't seem to get away from (or so it seems.)

So for now, I suppose I'll just let it all roll off my back; and keep on livin life not having to look for a babysitter so I can go to the movies.


Don't eat your baby! It was just a blog!!

No comments: