Tuesday, August 01, 2006

May I please buy MY home video from you!?!



Normaly I'm right on board with just about everything Apple has come out with. Their company has excellent ideas, and their products are finally progressing into the new millenium in leaps and bounds. However, I've just read the most ludicrus article about iTunes and their video streaming EVER.

To read the article you can CLICK HERE.

Now, not owning an iPod, and having never used the iTunes web site and software, I'm not entirely sure how this works. But please, allow me to take a few quotes from the article and analyze them out of context...

"As soon as you record that precious footage of your daughter's first steps, you'll be able to buy it right back from iTunes and download it directly to your computer and video iPod."

I'm sorry, but as soon as I record my "precious footage" I'm going to download it into my computer and then burn it to a DVD. Don't you have to upload your stuff to iTunes for them to "own" it? If I don't upload it, they don't own it. The way this was said, sounds like they own all footage recorded and you're going to have to buy it back from them.

"No more searching through your movies folder for that footage of your 50th wedding anniversary. Now all you need is a 768Kbps broadband connection and your credit card, and every timeless personal memory you've ever shot will be right at your fingertips."

ROFLMAO!!! This is seriously a quote from the article. And this is the dumbest quote I've heard all month! I'm sorry, but if you've got so much footage that you can't stand to "search" through a computer folder to find it perhaps you should utilize the handy dandy little right click option and ALPHEBATIZE your folder so you can find shit!

"Thanks to this revolutionary new software, all your clips—from your son's bris to your father's dying message—are available to you, your loved ones, and the 20 million iTunes users, who will be able to view them on up to five different computers."

I dunno about you, but I don't want my "father's dying message" to be available to everyone.

"No more disappointment for Cynthia Hamill of Hartford, CT when she realizes she can't find that tape of herself singing 'Sweet Caroline' in the bath as an 8-year-old," Jobs said. "For only a couple of bucks, that cherished moment can again be hers."

Ok, if she can't find it in the first place, how the fuck did Apple get a hold of it? Are they planning on breaking into my house and stealing all of my home video's and then putting them on the net and charging me for them? Seriously.

"It's just a matter of convenience," Mansfield, OH resident Samantha Davidoff said. "Why should I sift through the dozens of unlabeled DV tapes in my closet to find that submission tape I made for Extreme Makeover when I can just do a search on iTunes? Repurchasing my own stuff has never been this intuitive."

Here's a thought....LABEL YOUR DV TAPES AND IT'LL BE EASY TO FIND WHICH ONE YOU NEED!

"We were all excited to watch [daughter] Tabitha's birth when we got home from the hospital, but we could only view a 30-second clip before we had to buy it," Harvey Gaddis of Tulsa, OK said. "All we could see in the preview were some of the initial contractions."

How does this software work again? You put it up on the site and then automatically it's theirs and you have to pay to see it again? Sounds great! Where do I sign up?

This sounds like the dumbest idea ever. And the funny part about it is that they're blatantly telling everyone about it right to their faces and people are just ok with it. I'm sorry, but I'm not. There is no way in Hell that I would upload my video's to your site if I'm going to have to pay ANY amount of money to get them back from you. Weather that amount is $1.99 or $0.05, their MY VIDEO'S!

No comments: