Friday, August 18, 2006

Laundering Money Through Wal-Mart...


Ok, before I totally get into this post, I want to explain something for those of you out there who don't bank with Navy Federal Credit Union. When you make a purchase with your debit card (which by the way only will run places as a credit card), they "soft clear" the money from your account right away. Basically making sure you've got it. Then, they put that money right back into your account, and then they "hard clear" it roughly 3 business days later. You never see these transactions, they don't show up on your statement, but they happen. All of this is especially frustrating if you rely on your online banking at all to make sure you've got funds before you go anywhere or really do anything. Now, keeping all this in mind, let me get along to my post.

Recently I've moved to Chesapeake, VA. My husband got stationed over here, so I moved the house while he was riding the submarine around to get over here. As such, I got here roughly a month before he will get here. Which gives me time to get to know the area a little bit, and get the house in order before he gets here. Yes, I know I'm such a good wife. ;)

One of the things on my list to do was find a place to shop on an extreme budget. We have practically no money to buy groceries and gas after paying the bills, until we get reimbursed for our travel expenses. SO, this is where the Super Wal-Mart down the street comes in handy. Not only is it right up the street from me, but I am able to go there to get everything I need to get. Because, naturally, having just moved all the way across the country I need not only groceries, but little things like a shower curtain and garbage can, etc.

So, I venture on over to the Wal-Mart. Which is REALLY hard for me to do, because I despise everything about that company! But, at this point I'm still scared of traveling too far from my new apartment by myself, for fear of getting lost; and I've got like $3 to spend on everything I need. I get there, go shopping and it was great, I saved a bunch of money and got everything I needed. I spent roughly $90.

About a week later I was checking my bank account and I noticed that Wal-Mart had deducted the $90 from my account, and then 3 days afterward PUT IT BACK IN! So, I'm a little freaked out, until I look a little further up the list...3 days after they put it back in my account, THEY TOOK IT OUT AGAIN!! WTF!?!

Now, like I said with Navy Federal they do this, but you don't actually see it happen. It doesn't clear your account twice and show up on your statement! So, I figure, I'm laundering money through Wal-Mart. Or at least I was. After seeing this happen to my account, I'm so pissed that they felt the need to keep accessing my account, that I WILL NOT be shopping at Wal-Mart any more. There's a very nice supermarket near my apartment, and a Target in the same strip mall. So, I say to hell with Wally World. They can launder all the money they want to...but not through my account ANY MORE!

No comments: