Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I wish I were a better reader....



I used to read A LOT when I was a kid. I mean, I had my own book shelf in my bedroom that was FULL of books; all of which I had read at least twice. I loved to read. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't the kind of kid who stayed inside all the time and never played or watched tv or anything like that, but I still managed to read a lot of books.

I was a quick reader. I learned how to read at an early age and so I was reading at a fourth grade level by the time I got to the first. I still read very well, but I do it for content. Meaning, when I read I read pretty slowly. I savor every word, and I like to be totally immersed in what I'm reading. I love the feeling of reading about a stormy day where the clouds are as black as the night sky and the rain comes thundering down in sheets as lightning hits the steeple of the local church setting it ablaze. Only to look out my window and see that in fact it is a beautiful summer day. The sky is blue as the Caribbean sea with barely a wisp of a cloud and the blue birds play on the wind with the robins while the ants playfully make off with the neighbors picnic lunch.

I really love book stores. Any kind of book store. I love to go in and take in all the stories around me. I imagine what each book is about and savoring every page. But for some reason I simply can't do it any more; read like I used to I mean.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I buy books in bulk. Literally, I don't just buy one book on a subject, I buy 5. For anyone who knows me they probably know I'm an ancient Egypt freak. I mean I'm the geek with the National Geographic VHS video's that you have to buy off tv. And I've watched them all, at least twice and probably more. I've even got Egyptian tattoo's. So, when my boss' husband recommended a book called Fingerprints of the Gods I HAD to read it. He made it sound simply too tempting. But, when I went to find it on half.com I didn't just buy the one book, oh no not me. I bought 5 books by the same author!

Now, they're here, and I want to read them, I honestly do. But for some reason I simply can't bring myself to pick it up and open to the first page. I think maybe part of my problem is that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm the type of person who has to be caught within the first page or two or else I put it down and never pick it back up. I'm afraid I'm going to pick up this book and not just love it. Honestly, I think I've analyzed it way too far in my brain. I'll pick up the book soon. But for now, I suppose I'll just look at it and hope that it's going to be good.

God, I wish I were a better reader....

No comments: