Saturday, July 29, 2006

I think he hates me...



I'm slowly comming to the realization that my cat probably hates me. Things were fine and dandy til I uprooted his ass and moved it all the way across the country to a strange place. He's already a skiddish "scaredy cat" who likes noone but me. But now he's disappeared. That's right, gone incognito, put on his invisibility cloak, made himself a little hiding spot in the boxes that occupy my new apartment. Let me explain what this poor little guy has gone through in the last 2 weeks....

I moved us out of our apartment in Silverdale. They were locked safely away from the loud tape and paper packaging of the movers in the laundry room; until the movers decided that they were ok to roam free. Oh no, not such a good idea! He freaked out big time! Later that night I had to find him to take him to my grandma's house where I was staying for the next week. He was nowhere to be found. A house full of nothing but boxes, you wouldn't think it'd be that hard to find a cat. There are only so many places he can hide right? Wrong. I couldn't find him anywhere, so I had to come back for him later. He peeked out from behind a couple of boxes, I put him into a carrier and took him to my grandma's.

At my grandma's he was actually pretty ok. Aside from the dog, who wanted to play constantly, it was a great place for him. He adjusted well, and things were good. He got to live there for a week with me, when I had to fly him across the country.

He'd never flown before, but they got great big new carriers for the flight. They were stuffed into the car on one of the hottest fucking days in Washington state history. Not only was it hot, but it was humid and gross outside! We got them to Tacoma and had to leave them at my aunt's house for about 2 hours or so. Then, back into the car, and on to the airport. The vet had given me Xanax for the kitties flight, so I gave Stardust 1 1/2 (cause she's fat....well she is!) and Sunshine got a half a pill.

On the other side of the country Jesse (my sugar glider) and I made it just fine; and headed over to pick up the cats at the cargo center for Delta. By the time Alice and I got there, their plane had been landed for about an hour; so we figured they should be more than ready to go. Boy was I wrong! First off the guy behind the counter tried to pawn this orange tabby off on me 3 times before he finally believed me that the cat was neither my cat nor was it 2 cats which I needed to pick up! Then they didn't have my cats registered on their flights. They didn't have them registered (in the computer) on the flight out of Seattle, OR out of Atlanta where they had their layover. FUCK! It's quickly climbing to over 90 degrees and about 110% humidity, and I'm seriously worried. After spending an hour or so at the cargo counter, I was in tears and about ready to have someone's job! I was told to go home, and they would call me IF they found my cats!!! IF?!?! Livid doesn't even accurately describe how pissed I was.

Alice and I left, since the cargo counter didn't have a/c and it was swealtering and I was sweating, and leaking from the eyes. 4 FUCKING HOURS LATER I get a call from Delta, telling me that they found my cats. Seriously guys, 4 hours? Apparently, according the bullshit comming through my cell phone, someone had taken them to feed them. Umm hmmm....why did this task take 4 hours to complete (Stardust isn't that fat) and why didn't anyone know where they were?? Any way, I took them to Alice's house, where they got to live in an upstairs bedroom for 3 days sequestered from the dogs.

Then, I bring them to this new apartment. I had to literally drag them from underneath the guest bed at Alice's place. I get them here, and the house is full of boxes (once again) and I still had (have) lots of unpacking to do. Once again, loud paper and tape; and my cat is missing. He's been completely out of sight for a day and a half. So much so that he hasn't even eaten.

Every once in a while I'll hear some paper fall, or him hit a metal closet door as he jumps over a box or two. But when I go to find him, he's nowhere to be found. I don't really blame him. It's been a scary long journey. But I'm starting to get worried that he's pinned between boxes or something. He doesn't even cry for me when I call his name.

I'm sure once he's done hating me he'll be back. But at this point in time, I think he hates me. And I may be down to one cat.

No comments: